Homefield Park is one of the those Parish Council owned public spaces that had fallen into disrepair until a group of local volunteers released it from the undergrowth and regenerated it. The Parish Council then installed paths improving the access, and a small budget of S106 public art money from a near by development funded an a beautiful new entrance feature to enhance the profile of the park along the main road through the villages.
Alison Turnbull Associates developed the brief, and led the Parish Council through the process of appointing the artist, Tim Ward(Circling the Square Ltd). The community groups to be involved in the design stage worked with Tim and ATA managed the project through to completion.
Community Groups involved in design workshops
- Impington Village College
- Histon and Impington Junior School
- A day in the Park – people passing through the park on a cold but bright winters day
Tim in the park for the celebrations
The official celebration took place in September:
- Opened by Caroline Chivers, one of the surviving family members of the original benefactors,
- ‘The Boot’ ran bar and bar-b-que
- ‘Priority’ local band from IVC
- Histon Junior School Choir and violinists sang and played
The sign on the back has notes about the history of the park and historical maps of the villages
The response has been completely positive and the improved visibility of the park has increased the use of the park.